T/D was approached by Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire Wildlife Trusts (BBOWT) to convert a dilapidated conservatory into office space at the charity’s head office in Oxford. Keeping with the organisations ethos, the brief was to optimise the use natural building materials in creating a high quality working atmosphere within the constraints of modest budget. Key features of the design are:
– All materials as ecologically low impact as possible.
– Existing timber frame reclaimed and restored
– Roof construction is breathable, with wood fibre insulation and reclaimed welsh slate
– Bespoke acoustic ceiling from birch plywood and finished in natural linseed oil
– High quality detailing and craftsmanship
– LED lighting
– High performance timber windows with low-e, solar control glass
– Insulation in excess of building control for high thermal comfort
– Natural ventilation and solar shading
The works were carried out to a high level of quality with Green Oak Construction as the main contractor.